Paleo & Whole 30 Steak Fajitas

14 Jan

What do you do when you have 3 hours to kill?  Think of ideas for dinner.  At least that’s what I did while waiting at Dana-Farber today.  For some reason I could not get fajitas out of my head, so fajitas it is!  This recipe will feed 3 hungry adults two meals (2 stuffed fajitas per person per meal).

Ingredients:

Two 2 pound flank steaks

6 bell peppers of assorted colors, sliced

3 jalapeños, diced

3 sweet onions, sliced

6 cloves garlic, minced

Kosher salt

Pepper

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Chili powder

Cayenne pepper

Delivery device:

I chose Julian Bakery Paleo Wraps.  Addition options: bacon shells, lettuce cups, or just eat it as a salad.  Paleo Wraps are available directly from Julian Bakery or at Amazon.  Shown below are the turmeric ones.

Toppings of choice (my choices):

Salsa*

Salsa verde*

Guacamole*

Iceberg lettuce

Fresh lime, cut into wedges (to squeeze over your fajita)

*If not making your own from scratch read the label!  Find ones without sugar and other garbage (they do exist).

Whole 30 Steak Fajitas (only 2# flank steak in photo)

Whole 30 Steak Fajitas (only 2# flank steak in photo)

Method:

Season the steak with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cayenne (careful with the cayenne).  Heat your cast iron skillet over medium high heat.  Add 2 tablespoons clarified butter (or other fat source).  Sear the meat on both sides and cook to medium rare or medium.  We did this all in the cast iron skillet because it is 21°F outside and nobody wanted to grill.  Set the cooked steak aside and tent with aluminum foil to rest.  Repeat the process with the second steak.  Add onion to the skillet and season, but remember all the seasoning from your steak is in the pan too!  Sauté for a few minutes.  Once onion is starting to lose crispness add garlic and sauté for an additional two minutes.  Remove onion/garlic from skillet.  Now add a little olive oil to the pan followed by your peppers, season and sauté to desired crispness.  Add cooked peppers to onion/garlic.  Once steak has rested slice the steaks against the grain into thin strips.

I loaded steak, veggies, salsa verde, lettuce, and guac into Paleo wraps (plural).

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Paleo & Whole 30 Steak Fajitas”

1. deborahkrueger January 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM #

FYI the Julian Bakery paleo wraps are in no way Whole 30 approved. So did Heath Squier pay you for this?

• primalcooking January 15, 2015 at 9:08 PM #

Hi Deborah, 1. Who the heck is Health Squier?? 2. How is it that you think the combination of coconut meat, coconut water, and coconut oil is not whole 30? According to Tom Denham, Whole9 Moderator on Whole9 Life forum, these coconut wraps are accepted. Even if a given individual did not want to use a coconut wrap, I listed options of lettuce cups, bacon (sugar and nitrate free of course) cups or eating it as a fajita salad – all of which are Whole 30 no questions asked. I personally like the wraps for this particular recipe because they hold up much better than lettuce. I cook and post my recipes for the benefit of others because eating healthy doesn’t mean boiled chicken and steamed vegetables. I’m not here for profit, that’s what my daytime scientific career is for.

2. deborahkrueger January 16, 2015 at 12:23 PM #

Hello and I am sorry I do not know your name. This all started about a year and a half ago and it is a very long and complicated story but here goes. Beginning in 2009 there was a product being made by Improv’eat called The Pure Wraps Pure Wrap and Michelle Tam began basing many of her recipes (See Partial Recipe List Below) using these coconut wraps after having been Whole30 approved. In 2013, enter Heath Squier and the Julian Bakery who are to this day infringing on Todd Fitts’ patent.
    It is my belief Heath Squier made a squawk about The Pure Wraps being approved and not approving his Paleo Wraps so stop any controversy and not wanting to be in the middle, Whole30 “disapproved” The Pure Wraps on what I consider some relatively flimsy and not-so-good reasoning but of course it was their call. http://whole30.com/2013/12/pure-wraps/ Many people were very confused, some very angry and some supporters followed like sheep. (I would suggest reading all the comments) Melissa gives several long answers to many of the comments toward the bottom. The kicker is that Dallas and Melissa of Whole30 approached Todd and Improv’eat and not the other way around.
    Back to Heath Squier, the Julian Bakery and their Paleo Wraps. I would ask you to please read this whole post JULIAN BAKERY all the way to the bottom and especially regarding The Pure Wraps vs Paleo Wraps controversy and assuming you are a rational person you will get what I am saying. I don’t call Heath Squier the Bernie Madoff of the low carb scam artists lightly and for no reasons-you will read that there are plenty of reasons. Unless you are interested, you need not bother with a lot of the verifications and/but they are also all quite telling of this man and his company.
    The Pure Wraps are Non GMO Project Verified. The Paleo Wraps are not.
    A few of Michelle Tams recipes using Whole30 approved Pure Wraps back in 2011 and 2012.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/13537522241/paleo-eats-11-29-11 Scroll to bottom.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/14007515415/paleo-eats-12-9-11 Picture just down from top.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15081423021/paleo-eats-12-30-11 Picture is at top & bottom.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15879238077/paleo-eats-1-14-12-whole30-day-14 This shows The Pure Wraps as Whole30 approved.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19671104998/paleo-eats-3-20-12 Picture at very top.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/20649621991/paleo-eats-4-6-12 Picture of package and finished product.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/22830834843/paleo-eats-5-10-12 Picture is about midway.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/26356386991/paleo-eats-7-1-12 Scroll to bottom.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/33974767240/paleo-eats-10-19-12-my-belated-blogaversary Scroll to bottom.
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/35765575769/wise-traditions-conference-2012 This is particularly good as Michelle is meeting Todd Fitts the owner of Improv’eat and The Pure Wraps at the wise traditions conference. Some good pictures and comments by Michelle about a third of the way down.

Lastly I think this Whole30 article written March 16th, 2012 just about says it all. Dallas and Melissa were pretty gaga over Improv’eat and The Pure Wraps. http://whole30.com/2012/03/stm-asian-chicken-salad/ and what would have changed? We will probably never know the real answer.

• primalcooking January 18, 2015 at 7:16 PM #

Hi Deborah,
      There is obviously much controversy over this especially given the information I discovered here At the end of the day all I look for are quality ingredients. On the rare occasions I need a wrap that is going to hold up I love these because they really do hold up! Better than a wheat flour based wrap that easily tears, and they have no wheat in them! This was the first wrap that I found composed of strictly paleo ingredients, so this is what is in my pantry. I’ve also noticed Sunfood coconut wraps, and Improv’Eat pure wraps (I’m interested in trying the Improv’Eat curry wraps) online but have not tried either brand yet since I already have wraps in my pantry. People interested in clean eating should choose whatever product (wrap, lettuce, bacon, etc) they prefer. Whether that preference be structure, taste, ease of purchasing, strictness of clean eating, etc. Or even do what my best friend does, make your own. Example recipe As far as Whole 30 – I don’t approve anything – I look at ingredients and create recipes I feel are complaint. I base what I find compliant on the Whole 30 program rules In my reading it sounds like the only squawking came from confused people trying Whole 30 who didn’t understand why a wrap was ok but other paleo breads were not (one of these things is not like the other, there should never have been any confusion), and the Whole9 team started to think this belonged more in their ‘sex with your pants on category’. Thank you for all the information, it was certainly something I was not aware of before ~ Deanna

3. deborahkrueger January 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM #

Sorry, the link to the Julian Bakery Post did not show as a link so here it is again http://low-carb-scams.com/the-bernie-madoff-of-the-low-carb-scam-artists/

4. deborahkrueger January 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM #

Deanna,

Thank you for the response and I now know your name. FYI Sunfood coconut wraps are made by the Julian Bakery. Sunfood used to distribute The Pure Wraps but now have Julian Bakery private label for them and it is printed on the label. They are just more expensive.
    Good luck to you, Deborah